Learn About The Passion Fund
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing!
These words spoken by Helen Keller, who although completely deaf and blind, believed life should be lived to the fullest no matter what the circumstances. Keller went on to say, “Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.”
The Passion Fund was set up to reward the worthy purpose of the best of the Kansas City area home school community who have a daring adventure to pursue. The purpose of The Passion Fund is to help motivate young people to find their passion and pursue it. This country was built by people who took big risks to pursue big dreams. God has given home schooler families the unique opportunity to think outside-the-box in how they pursue their education. To put Helen Kellers words in that context … let us raise up our children to be all they are meant to be, to pursue Gods purposes in an all out daring adventure!
Consider what the Bible has to say about pursuing a Godly purpose. Most followers of Christ are familiar with the passage in Colossians 3, which states, “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord” (Col. 3:23), but how many of us know whom Paul was writing to when he gave that statement?
Here’s that passage again in its Biblical context
“Servants, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to curry their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving” (Col. 3:22-24).
Clearly, if servants were not bound by their circumstances when it comes to being all God wants them to be, how much more so are home school families who live in the most free country on the planet in the most technically advanced time in history. The world awaits a new generation of home school graduates who are not bound by cultural peer pressure, and who desire to use the gifts God has given them along with tools of this age to accomplish great things.
Another Scriptural passage from Paul states, “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable–if anything is excellent or praiseworthy–think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me, put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you” (Philippians 4:8-9).
Like Paul we need to focus on those things that are excellent and praiseworthy and not be afraid to set the standard for others to follow as we pursue our Godly passions.
What Is It?
What is the Passion Fund?
The Passion Fund is an annual award given to a select number of Kansas City area home school graduates. It is meant to motivate, not just the award recipients, but also the entire home school community toward pursuing a Godly purpose. We home school because we want to make a difference in our kids and we want our kids to make a difference in the world. The Passion Fund is there to help encourage families toward that goal.
How Does the Passion Fund Work?
- Only graduating seniors with at least a three-year membership in Families for Home Education are eligible.
- Providing suitable applicants are found worthy, one award will be granted to a graduating senior at the FHE graduation ceremony.
- Funds may be used for college scholarships or as grants for entrepreneurial/ministry pursuits.
- The amount for each award is $1000 with a renewable $1000 amount to be awarded annually for an additional three years.
- Criteria for the award and its renewal is based on the worthiness and achievability of the pursuit. In other words sell us on your passion and sell us on how you plan to accomplish it.
- The renewable award is awarded based on how well you are continuing to pursue your passion or if your passion has evolved, what are you doing to accomplish your new direction?
- Essays (or other types of presentation) describing your passion and how you will achieve it will be required as well as a listing of your accomplishments and service.
- Application deadline is February 28th, the award winner will be selected by April 15th, and will be announced at FHE graduation ceremony.
- Immediate family members of the selection committee are not eligible.
- For any questions, go to our FAQ page … or for more specific information, go to our Contact page.